06 November 2006

How ready are we to change our practice?

Okay, I'm pondering again! I mentioned in a forum the other day that I like blogs that offer FeedBlitz or similar tool so that I can get updates to blogs in my email. That's because I can't get into the habit of going to bloglines to check updates - it seems another chore - but I read my email almost every day - not all in my professional and personal networks are bloggers. I also subscribe to Stephen Downes' OLDaily and to George Siemens' weekly blog summary email, and I get Nancy White's FeedBlitz update and they all come to my email.

I was checking FeedBlitz yesterday and it seemed to be saying what I have been thinking - email is ubiquitous. Everyone has email and everyone is familiar with it (well almost everyone - my 82 yr old mother doesn't want to know about it!). I know FeedBlitz is marketing a product but I connected with the words.

So, I'm not ready to change my practice - I can't see the point! It was mentioned to me that blogs are more personal - you can see what people look like, their interests etc. Mmmmm - you won't find that on my blog although you will find the blogs and links I'm interested in professionally.

And what about interaction. Web 2.0 technologies are meant to be about 'connecting' and 'networking' but a blog seems to me to be a one-way conversation. You blog it and invite comments - sometimes you get some, sometimes you don't (boo hoo - see the lack of comments on this blog!). I agree with the networking - you can find all sorts of contacts out there through blogs and wikis, but I see most interaction happening on listservs and forums, eg teachAndLearnOnline and edNA Framework Community Forum. So, if I want to interact, to enter into dialogue, discuss and debate issues, I'm going to probably choose a forum where people are going to respond and I can respond to their response. I could use a wiki forum of course!

So, how ready are VTE practitioners and other professionals to make the shift and what motivated those who have?

8 Comments:

At 11:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Val!

Firstly, I'd like to say that it does depend on the subscribers whether a blog is one way or two way. Although, I do agree, I have some great "conversations" in the blogring but it is a network of one-sided conversations - but this serves it's purpose as a reflective tool that promotes sharing.

But, what would I like? I'd love my blog feedback and new postings from my friends to be accessible via my mobile, irrespective of who my provider is, or who hosts my blog...

I'm really thrilled your blog and wiki have been brought to my attention and hope to contribute and learn over the coming months.

With regards and thanks, Kim.

 
At 3:43 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

you're right Val, a blog is generally an individual expression - a place that someone can put all their musings "out there". This makes it so much easier to get started than a collaborative or community space.

It has been said that discussion occurs 'between the blogs'. For example, 'edubloggers' might often find they are posting on similar issues, and rather than comment directly, they'll post the comment in their own space, with a link to the first person's post.

(i think this is what's known as 'trackback')

(and i don't have a blog where i comment generally on web2.0 things, so i'm leaving a comment rather than engaging in trackbackery :)

More often than not though, a blogger will be writing purely for themselves, but in public. "Nobody's reading, but they might be." Which is not-quite-social, just like sitting on your own at a party, smiling occasionally.

So yes, web.2 is not always social is it.

kind regards, michael

 
At 12:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:42 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:51 pm, Blogger Donna Benjamin said...

I've stumbled across your report - networks, connections and community, learning with social software - and would like to get in touch with you about whether you would be interested in A> publishing a summary of your findings as an article in our quarterly journal, and B> submitting an abstract for consideration in our conference?

http://www.vitta.org.au/call4papers
http://www.vitta.org.au/infonet

email conference [at] vitta . org . au

 
At 6:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Web 2.0 an evolution of network tools typically designed to introduce GUI's to the clueless masses, which in reality offer few groundbreaking concepts?

Or is it perhaps nothing more than a marketing buzzword, introduced by successful publisher, namely O'Reilly, to add value to an otherwise meaningless collection of concepts in order to drum up interest for his publishing ventures.

Is the result, intentional or not, an effect of mass stupidity? When Web 2.23... an so on is launched must we all have to upgrade our social networking tools?

What percentage of readers on this web (2.0?) page, can half describe what NNTP is without a prior search?

Mind you, O'Reilly does sell good books!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home