18 October 2006

Horses for Courses - what about blogs?

I’m interested to find out more about the different reasons blogs are being established. Of course you all know from my posting below, that establishing this blog and gaining a presence is presenting quite a challenge. Some very wise and experienced bloggers have suggested that it would take me at least 6 months to gain a presence, and during this 6 months I need to do lots of reading and lots of posting to other blogs so that people out there start to know who I am and will come to my blog to ‘hear’ what I am saying or in the Web 2.0 way, RSS my blog to know when I am saying something. Gee, that takes some time and I am not sure that I really want that sort of presence. I want to have a life so in between reading, posting to other blogs, posting to mine, I need to fit in my work, my family, my garden (which is my passion these days), my friends, etc etc. (not all in that order either).

So, what am I trying to do with this blog you might well ask! I don’t see this as my blog. I see it as the Social Software Research Team’s blog – there will be other posters (you can see the names on the side bar). We set up this blog to share some of our findings, our insights, our questions, our thoughts as we travel the research road, with the hope that someone out there will read them and link to their blogs/wikis/whatever with their thoughts. Have we chosen the right tool? Is it possible to establish the presence we need in a short timeframe – the life of this project is only 10 weeks?

Choosing the right tool to do the job is really important. It is often said that different technologies are used because they are new and everyone thinks they should be using them. Perhaps we have done the same.

What about using social software, viz blogs, wikis, social bookmarking and virtual conferencing in the VTE teaching and learning environment? How are they being used now? How could they be used better? Which disciplines do they suit best? Should they be used at all?

And what about using the same software for capability development within and across organizations – are they the right tools? How are they being used now? How could they be used better?

Any thoughts anyone?

4 Comments:

At 7:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

At education.au we setup our blogs almost as a marketing/business development exercise.

However, I think that understates the importance they have. For me, blogs provide an internet-speed way to disseminate ideas and infomation.

There's already been a number of posts you might be interested in for your study:

Social Networking and metrics, Metadata Repository + Social Network = LibraryThing and I'm sure there are others.

Good luck with your blog!

 
At 1:20 am, Blogger Cathy said...

I am feeling your pain. There are not enough hours in a day to gather the information one needs to stay on top of the fast development of web 2.0. However, you have started, so you are on the right track. I am a tech facilitator in an elementary school in North Carolina, USA. I have two first grade teachcers that are blogging with their class to model writing and guide the students on aocial networking safety. Hope these help. Leave a comment for them, they would love to hear from you in AU- they will find you on google earth.
http://elgg.net/pilandla/weblog
http://elgg.net/dyerkr/weblog/

Mr Principal's blog http://elgg.net/donlanjo/weblog/

My blog: http://elgg.educationbridges.net/cevanoff/weblog

 
At 3:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home